Police rescue ex-army general, kill one abductor, arrest 2. [@trends_ng]

A four-man kidnap gang, demanding N50 million
ransom, on Wednesday, abducted a 67-year-old
retired military officer, Major General Peter Unode,
in Ekiugbo, Ughelli North Local Government Area
of Delta State, blindfolded and chained him in their
den for two days.

They were waiting for the payment of the ransom
negotiated with the family when the police,
Saturday morning, stormed their den in an armada
operation at about 8.00 am and liberated the retired
army officer.

Delta State Police Commissioner, Mr. Ikechukwu
Aduba, who confirmed the operation, told Sunday
Vanguard on phone that police killed one of the
kidnappers in a gun battle at Ozoro, Isoko North
Local Government Area.

Police also seized two of the gangsters, according
to the commissioner, who hinted that the residence
used as operational base by the gang would be set

Sunday Vanguard gathered the fourth kidnapper,
who sustained bullet wound, was still at large, but
police were hunting for him.

Aduba’s words, “The general was kidnapped on
Wednesday. In a fierce gun duel, one of the
kidnappers was gunned down, the rescued
general described the raid of the kidnapping den,
where he was chained as commando type and
praised the bravery of the tactically disciplined
squad, led by the Divisional Police Officer, DPO”.
The commissioner, who disclosed that no ransom
was paid, asserted that the kidnappers whisked
away Major General Unode in an ash-coloured
Sienna bus after his kidnap, along Ekiugbo road,

Narrating his ordeal to reporters, Unuode said, “I
went with one S.O Oyibo who deals on bamboo
sticks, along the Ughelli/Port-Harcourt expressway.
On getting there, we saw one Toyota Sienna,
parked close to the caravan, where the bamboos
were kept.
“And we saw the owner of the Sienna car
defecating close to the caravan and we expressed
concern why the man was defecating close to the
caravan, because another who wanted to buy 200
pieces of bamboo from Oyibo also went with us.
After a while, we saw Oyibo discussing with the
man and as I moved closer, they stopped the
conversation and the man zoomed off in his

“After few minutes, the Sienna resurfaced and two
boys emerged from it with pump actions and they
were saying; na you say make our oga pack shit.
They were three in the car, but only two came out
and that was how I was bundled away through

“After a while, I was blindfolded and whisked away
with impunity. As we were going, they said I should
give them N50 million, otherwise they would waste
me. And I told them I do not have that kind of
money and that I am a retired Army General.
“And they took me to their hideout; a living
environment. People in the area were speaking
Isoko; the boys guiding me were also conversing in
Isoko. I was hearing the sound of vehicles and
motorcycles; the place was close to a busy road.
And from that Wednesday that they took me until I
was rescued by the police, I refused food. I lived on
water all through.

“Later they reduced the ransom fee to N20 million,
later came down to N15, N10 and N5 million and
the boys felt insulted when my son they were
negotiating with mentioned N450,000. They
seriously tortured me coupled with mosquito bites.
The mosquitoes took advantage of me because I
was properly chained to a chair and helpless.
“I was chained on my ankle; my knees were tied;
my hands were tied; my mouth was tied and I was
still under blindfold. I was subjected to all forms of
inhuman treatment”.

posted by @trends_ng. follow on twitter and instagram.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s